Wednesday, July 19, 2006

No National Holiday Celebrating a Woman in This Country

Jessica, at feministing, linked to this article in the Christian Science Monitor, on the upcoming 4oth anniversary of NOW. (I am unable to attend this great gala, but would love to hear about how it goes from anyone who does attend.)

What really hit me when I read the article was the following:

"We don't have any national holiday for a woman in this country yet," he says.


The "he" in the quotation is Dr. Seidenberg, a psychiatrist from Fayatteville, N.Y. and one of the first male members of NOW.

I was also pleased with Jessica's comments:

"I do think NOW still serves a purpose in Washington-based organizing and lobbying," says Jessica Valenti, editor of the website feministing.com. "But younger feminists are exploring new ways of organizing and doing their activism. Hopefully NOW will come along with us."

I have to say, however, that I don't think NOW has been very successful, as of late, with Washington lobbying. It is simply impossible to get into Senators offices. And, if you do, you won't see the Senator. I am hopeful that the younger feminists will bring a new energy and intensity to feminist activism. I haven't seen a whole lot of younger women at NOW board meetings or rallies. But, I hold out hope that something will congeal, and soon!

P.S. Which woman do you propose to which we should dedicate a National holiday? Dr. Seidenberg proposes Betty Friedan.