Sunday, October 22, 2006

This Feminista is Getting Married!



So, I went to Emma's Halloween party last night--dressed up as Starbuck from BSG and Za was dressed up as Jayne Cobb from Firefly. It was a fun party--as usual--and then, all of a sudden, Za demanded that I come outside to hear his performance of "The Ballad of Jayne Cobb." I went outside to the fire pit, ready to watch him sing his heart out with Ricardo playing the guitar. Everyone from the party was gathered to see this performance.

When it was over, Za said: "Well, since I have already embarrassed myself enough, I am going to embarrass myself some more." He then pulled out a ring box, and proposed to me. Needless to say I was completely caught off guard and totally flummoxed since 20 people were staring at me. I was pretty much speechless and crying. *I* was really crying and then, thank goodness, pointed out that I should "say something." I hadn't realized that I didn't say "yes," and everyone was staring, waiting, and frankly, getting a bit nervous. I quickly said "YES!," and like that I was engaged.

So, this little feminista has clearly worked through her ambivalence about getting married and said yes to an amazing man, who got on one knee, after singing the "Ballad of Jayne Cobb," in full costume to propose.

Halloween was my favorite holiday before, but now it has taken on a whole new meaning.

Btw, the ring is an awesome Georg Jensen mobius ring from Denmark. He went out of his went out of his way to find something really special that fits with my personality and heritage.


Update: Here is what the ring looks like. Cool, eh?