Monday, April 10, 2006

Protecting the Religious Freedom of Bigots

Now here is a puzzling legal and moral dilemma.

How do you balance the rights of people to be bigots with the rights of people not to be harmed by bigotry? I guess it is a matter of religious freedom to allow some evangelical Christians to practice bigotry against the LGBTQ community. I swear we will be embarrassed by these arguments against civil rights one day. While in my other post, I am debating whether or not abortionists use the same logic as racists, here I am reminded that homophobia really does. But, at least the evangelicals will demand that lesbian be has right to be born, even though they will totally reject and abandon her later. How do you reconcile these things? Do lesbian fetuses have more civil rights than full-grown adult lesbians?