Monday, July 31, 2006

Let's Hear it for the Aesthete's Life

Well, it's almost bedtime for this feminista on a Monday night. But, I wanted to write a quick post to brag about the wonderful dinner that my mom just treated me to. We went to eat at an AMAZING restaurant called the Inn at Little Washington. This was one of the most memorable gastronomic experiences of my life. And, I am eternally grateful to my mother for making it possible. If you feel like blowing half of your paycheck, you must try this exquisite restaurant in a tiny town in Virginia.

Before I made my way here, I had spent several days eating quite well. I had a several different friends invite me over for wonderful meals, Jamie treated Za and me to a fabulous dinner in Cleveland Park, and my mom and I ate at a sumptuous French restaurant in Charlottesville. I have been thinking a lot about the amount of money, time and energy I am willing to spend on fine food and drink. After making a fabulous meal the other night with Jamie, I remarked how interesting it is to me that most of my friends share my passion for amazing food and wine. We spend far more money than we should--money that others would most likely invest in their retirement. I started thinking about what more folks who are more frugal or sane with money might say about these priorities.

But, then someone reminded me--I can no longer remember who--that spending your time and money on these types of endeavors is about saying "yes" to life. You can't take wealth with you. But, you will continually be rewarded for fine meals, conversations and time with friends you love.

So, let's hear it for the aesthete's life. If I were to die tomorrow, I would die with joy.