Friday, July 13, 2007

Madeleine Has Arrived!!

Well, this has turned into a very short delivery. Shortly after the last post, the doctor came in and determined that Spaz was no more dilated than she had been at 8 AM and her blood pressure was still a concern. PLUS the pitocin, which is given to her to induce labor, had been in her system for some time, and the doctor was concerned about the health of the baby. So Spaz, in her usual determined, decisive, and purposive fashion, elected to go Caesarean, as the doctor recommended.

I have to say, I would have been far more frightened than she appeared to be. I can only chalk it up to Spaz's previous experience with surgery combined with her matter-of-fact pragmatic attitude. She was very brave, and I was really proud of her.

An OR was available immediately, and Spaz was whisked off before I knew it.

Spaz is currently in recovery, and Za, "Mamasan" (Za's name for Spaz's mom), and I are waiting with Maddy for Mommy Spaz to come down. Maddy is ADORABLE, in excellent health (she got a perfect APGAR score...I don't know what that means, but it's good), has all the requisite fingers and toes, and is currently in the arms of Mamasan and sporting an orange-and-turquoise bonnet (none of that pink and blue gendered stuff for our Maddy). She weighs 7 lbs, 3.6 oz, is 21.5 inches long, and is wide awake and getting to know her world (which currently seems dominated by a huge, dark, stubbly, bespectacled face grinning irresistably at her).

I'm sure once Spaz is up to it, she will want to tell you the rest herself, so I will hereby relinguish my blogging role. I sign off, for the first time, as "Auntie I."